Monday, August 22, 2016

Welcome! New season, new school year!

Welcome to the RGTPA Blog!  On the right hand navigation, you'll find links to pages with useful information.

On our landing page, you'll find a blog area where we can share articles, ideas, and resources for one another and our gymnasts!

For our first blog post, I thought I'd bring up the topic of new beginnings and the balance between gym and school.  Here's an article titled, "How Gymnastics Helps Your Child Succeed." http://static.usagymclub.com/wp-content/uploads/HelpsSucceed.pdf

Sounds great -- but what about the reality of homework and tests and a loss of daylight? And don't forget finding the time to eat healthy, balanced meals.

For me, the greatest challenge in transitioning back to the school year schedule is preparing healthy meals on the go.  My solution-to-try this year? Bento box lunches/dinners.  I don't get as fancy as the pictures shown here: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/bento-box-lunch/whole-grains-bento
However, I like that the bento style helps us all remember to include the important components of healthy eating - the veggies, the fruits, the protein, and the complex carbs.  My family and I met with a nutritionist last year. (By the way - the Giant in Willow Grove has an on-site nutritionist that is FREE to meet with! They are wonderful!)  I learned that the food pyramid has changed from when I was a kid.  Check it out here: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/
I know there will still be days when we are grabbing Wawa on the go - let's be real here - but helping my gymnast be successful starts with how I fuel her body.

So that's what I'm thinking about at the start of the new season/school year.
What are you thinking about?
Please comment below with any ideas, strategies, or even questions about how to help our gymnasts at the start of the school year.

Trying not to "flip" out with excitement,
Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment